- With all these awesome freebies your hard drive might start to get a bit cluttered. Here are some tips.
- * Make a folder on your desktop called “New needs extracted”.
- * Make a folder in your My Documents folder titled Scrapbooking
- * Make a folder in your Scrapbooking folder that is titled “New needs organized”.
- * When you download choose “Save to disk” and browse to the folder “New needs extracted” that you saved on your desktop.
- * Once downloads are complete you need to extract them. My favorite utility is ExtractNow. ExtractNow is a simple utility that allows you to extract multiple archives quickly and easily. Here is a link- http://www.extractnow.com/ and it is free. I have a shortcut on my Desktop for ExtractNow too.
- * Open ExtractNow, on the bottom left there is a settings tab. Open settings and go to Destination- Check to box to “Automatically extract archives into” Then browse to select the folder you just made titled “New needs organized”. To get to it go to My Documents> Scrapbooking> New needs organized.
- * I like to have each download extract into it's own folder so I check the box that says, “Extract archives into their own name folder”.
- * I use ExtractNow for all my downloads- it works for every file type I have ever needed. If you go to the Explorer tab in settings you can check the boxes you want to in File Type Associations. I check all of them.
- * So the next step is to extract all downloads into the “New needs organized” folder. This is where you can save a MAJOR amount of time using ExtractNow!
- * Open the folder on your desktop “New needs extracted”
- * Open ExtractNow
- * Resize the “New needs Extracted” page so you can access the ExtractNow box.
- * In the “New needs extracted” folder go to Edit> Select all
- * Click and drag the highlighted downloads over into the ExtractNow box.
- * Then click Extract in the ExtractNow box. All downloads will automatically go into your “New needs organized” folder in your scrapbooking folder. With one click!!
- * Now you can go to you Scrapbooking folder and organize them however you want. I have many folders within my Scrapbooking folder for all my goodies. Here is what I have-
- * Kits- Within that folder I have folders organized by color, theme, and folders for my favorite designers.
- * Embellishments- Then broken down into many folders like buttons, eyelets, ribbon, glitters ect..
- * Alphas
- * Words, Quotes, and Titles
- * Templates
- * Tutorials ~ Newsletters~ Receipts
- * Challenges- current challenges- REMEMBER to organize into proper folder after challenge is over.
- * Quick Pages and Brag Books
- * Photoshop Extras- Here I keep a copy of all my actions, layer styles, Fx's, brushes ect. That I have purchased or gotten for free for PhotoShop. Then if something happens and I need to reinstall PhotoShop I have a folder that has all my extras saved.
- * TIP- I have a notepad document with the file locations I need to go to install all Extras. I have it saved in the “Extras” folder. Then when I get a new extra I can copy and paste the location into the Run box on my computer. And it will take me right where I need to go, I right-click the new extra then copy and past it right into the proper location within PhotoShop. This has saved me a lot of time looking and trying to remember where to go to install extras. (Look in the “Locations of Extras” box bellow to see the location paths of my extras. This will be helpful if you are trying to find location paths and you use PSE6 and have the same operating system as I do. If you use something else it will not help you.)
- * I think that covers it. If you have any questions leave me a comment and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I use a PC with Windows XP and I use Adobe PhotoShop Elements 6. I might not be of any help if you are using different programs but I will offer whatever info I can.
- * Have fun scrapping!!
Friday, May 16, 2008
Organize Scrapbooking downloads
*Update*- I do my organizing a but differently now, because I am a Mac girl now :) But this is still a great tutorial for all you PC users :)
*Some freebies only last for 1 day... and depending on your time zone by the time you get here you might only have a short time to download. If you like something get it ASAP! You just never know some freebies last a long time and some expire very quickly. If you get to a page and the freebie is not there most likely it has expired.*