Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Let's Meet a Gingerscraps CT Member, Jodi!

Today were are going to meet another CT member, Jodi! Jodi is also a designer. :)


What’s your name and digiscrap blog address? My name is Jodi and my blog is http://www.statementsbyjodi.com/

Tell us a little about your family. My husband and I met when we were 14 years old at a Bible camp. We lost touch but when we were both in college (he in NJ and me in NY) we found each other online and rekindled our friendship. That led to us dating for a short time and then we got engaged. We started dating in December of 2000 got engaged in June of 2001 and married in August of 2001. We decided to wait to have children for a few years and when we finally decided to start trying it took 2 years for me to get pregnant. We were married 5 years when I gave birth to our daughter, Rebekah Rain. She is now 2 years old.
Do you work outside the home & if so what do you do? I am a stay at home mom. I have my online digi scrapping store so I am a designer but that's it.
What other hobbies do you have besides scrapping and designing? That's hard because I really love to digi scrap, paper scrap, and design. Would crafts count? I really like to do crafts. Since having my daughter I haven't done any in a while but now that she's getting older I have been doing some small easy ones with her.
When did you start Digi-scrapping and who taught you? I wanted to do a traditional scrap book for my daughter's first year so I started that and then through the traditional scrap groups on CafeMom I found out about digi scrapping. I believe this was about a year and a half ago? I am not entirely sure. I bought a digi scrap program and that's how I got my start, so I guess that program taught me at first and then I just started teaching myself. I also got alot of help from the wonderful ladies on CafeMom. And when Ginger asked me to be on her Creative Team she taught me alot of things too.
When did you start designing and how did you learn? About 6 months ago. I started to figure it out on my own but then quickly realized I was in over my head so I started asking questions. Ginger started helping me and then I joined a digi design group and have learned some from there too.
Where do you sell? I sell at http://www.statementsbyjodi.com/store/
How did you pick your companies name? Long story. When I was in high school, I believe my junior year, I had a computer class, actually it was more of a business class but we used computers and our class was in a computer lab. Anyway our final project was to make a business. We had to decide what we would sell, make a radio commercial, have an address and phone number, and things like that. I was going to cosmetology school at the time so my business was going to be a salon and the name was "Make a Statement!" Then about a year ago a friend of mine asked me to help her with a group she started on Myspace, we made things for myspace and took requests. Anyway she named the site "Make a Statement, designs by Laura and Jodi". So I couldn't really use that same name for my store! haha, I asked her anyway and then I decided on "Statements by Jodi" instead of "Make a Statement". Funny how I had that name picked out in high school and a friend chose the same name for another thing!

Who are your favorite three designers? OF course GingerScraps! And then I would have to say Gunhild and Scrappin' Cop. I like that they do CU freebies!

What are your favorite parts of a kit to design? Alphas! I love them so much that I make more of them than I make kits! I usually end up giving them away as freebies on my blog or as PP's at Ginger Scraps Speed Scraps.

What’s your favorite kit that you've designed? This is sooo hard! I like my "Primary Birthday" kit because of all the great colors and the papers are really fun. But I also love my "Giving Thanks" kit because of the fun Alpha, colors and everything is Felt! Then there's my "Tiny Treasures" kit that I made as a baby kit and I love all the baby elements. It's so cute and has the perfect colors for all babies! I guess I will say my "Giving Thanks" kit. What's your least favorite? I would have to say my first kit "Lilac Wedding". I have learned so much since then! I have decided that I am going to redo it piece by piece! I already redid the Alpha and it will be going into my store soon. You will be able to buy each part of the redone kit seperatly and then when I am all done I will sell it also as one kit.
How do you get started on a kit? Palette first? Rough idea on what you want your papers or elements to look like? I pick a theme, then a color pallet and then start thinking of elements to go in the kit. Then the papers and Alpha just fall into place.
How long does it typically take you to make a kit? Wow, a LONG time! I would say at least a month for some and at least 2-3 months for others. I am really slow! But I also have a 2 year old and a dog to care for during the day so I guess that's my excuse lol.
If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? Wow that's a tough one! There are so many things that I can think of! HAHA who wouldn't want to change things about themselves? I would say my teeth! I have really bad teeth, they are naturally very yellow and I hate that in photos and also I think it's genetic but I just have all around bad teeth. I take pretty good care of them and I still get cavities all the time, my teeth are thinning, I have to get another root canal. I had 3-4 root canals on one tooth when I was a teen and finally just had it pulled a few years ago. It was so bad that it had started to fuse with my jaw bone. He had to grind away some of my jaw bone to get it all out. And my stupid crooked smile! UGH! I hate my crooked smile. One side of my lip goes down, and well it's just dumb! So I would change my whole mouth! Anyone want to trade?
What is the one word that best describes you? I would say caring. I like giving things to people, helping them if they need advice, and would rather buy something for someone else than myself.
Who is the most important person in your life? I guess I can't pick God because he isn't really a person so I would have to say my mom. She is always there for me when I need her advice. I call her often from advice on my daughter, to how to cook something lol. I also like just calling her to tell her about my day and ask her about hers.
What is something that not many people know about you? Humm, there are lots of things that many people don't know about me. My husband knows just about everything there is to know about me. Ok here's something that people may not know. I LOVE coffee! But the thing is that I don't drink it much lol. I am too lazy to make it in the morning so I just don't. If someone else makes it or I am at a coffee house I will drink it, but for some reason I just don't make it in my own house. I wish I did though because I really like coffee!
If you could travel anywhere where would you go? I have always wanted to go to Australia.
When you were little what did you dream of being when you grew up? I always wanted to be a fashion designer. But I can't draw worth a spit! HAHA my brother is a great artist! I guess I lucked out on that part. I always watched fashion shows when I was little and I used to dream of being one of the people to make the dresses that the models wore on the runway. I still like to watch fashion shows.
What is your favorite food? Italian!
What do you like doing with your family? I like doing everything with my family! My favorite thing is going to the zoo. I love seeing all the animals and I love seeing Rebekah's reaction to the animals. I can't wait till it gets warm enough to start going to the zoo again!
Where is your favorite place to be? With my family, wherever they are at the time.
What are three things that are important to you? God, My family, and my digi scrap designing.
Is there anything you would change about your life? I love everything about my life and my family and were I am at in my life right now. I am so happy with the decisions I have made that have lead me on the path I am on right now. I would like to own a bigger house though. I am glad that we have and can afford the house we have now in this economic hard time though so I don't complain lol.
What are you afraid of? Well the Bible says "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." So I am sad to admit that I have many fears. I think my biggest fear is my fear of cars. I don't have my license because of my fear. I went to the Dr with chest pains one day and she told me it was just heart burn from riding in the car. I fear cars so much that it was causing acid reflux so bad that I thought I was having a heart attack!
Do you collect anything? I used to collect porcelain dolls and salt and pepper shakers. I have been collecting decks of cards since I was a teen. Something I still do but not as much as I used to. I have a huge collection of cards!
Here is a layout Jodi did with her favorite Gingerscraps kit, Whoville!




Here is another one of Jodi's kits, isn't it adorable?

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I just want to clarify my choice of "most important person". Of course my husband is and then my daughter, but I figured everyone would assume that and so I picked the next person who is my mom.

Misty said...

Jodi - thank you so much for sharing. I appreciate your openness. You come across as a very humble, loving person.

Great to learn more about you!

*Note*

*Some freebies only last for 1 day... and depending on your time zone by the time you get here you might only have a short time to download. If you like something get it ASAP! You just never know some freebies last a long time and some expire very quickly. If you get to a page and the freebie is not there most likely it has expired.*